Sara's Wholesome Chicken Pie
Another Country Kitchen Family Favourite
A recipe requested frequently making it my pleasure to is share with one and all!
For my tips on baking wholesome family pies including making your own pastry CLICK HERE to check out my BLOG
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 kg Chicken Thigh diced
- 2 rashers Bacon (rind off & diced)
- 1 Leak (washed & diced)
- 1 Carrot diced
- 0.5 cup Corn
- 30 g butter
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or Whole Grain Mustard
- 1 teaspoon White Pepper ground
- 1 cup White Sauce with Cheese
- 250 g Rough Puff Pastry
White Sauce with Cheese
- 1.5 tablespoon Butter
- 1.5 tablespoon Plain Flour
- 1 cup Full Cream Milk
- 0.5 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
Sara's Wholesome Chicken Pie Directions
- Grease pie dish and place a layer of pastry neatly in pie dish. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Remove from fridge, using a layer of baking paper and pie weights, blind bake for 8 minutes. Allow to cool whilst you prepare chicken filling.
- In a saucepan or a deep frypan melt butter. Place diced leak in the pan and sweat for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add bacon and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes to coat with flavours. (chicken does not need to be fully cooked as it will finish when baking in the pie).
- Add carrot and corn and stir for 1 minute.
- Take the chicken pie filling off the heat and stir in mustard, lemon juice and parsley.
- Prepare white sauce with cheese.
- Add white sauce to chicken mix and place in pie dish.
- Place a pastry top on the pie. Make a couple of slits on top of the pie to allow steam to escape when baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes, lower heat to 180OC and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Melt butter in saucepan
- Add flour, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Cook slowly for 30 seconds to cook out flour taste. Continually stir, DO NOT BROWN.
- Remove from heat and add milk slowly.
- Return to heat and stir until simmering, add cheese and stir till boiling.
- Remove from heat and regularly stir if not using immediately.
You will need a 22 cm (1L) Pie Dish
Preheat oven to 2000C
TO MAKE WHITE SAUCE WITH CHEESE
Place pie on a greased baking tray for ease of pulling the pie in and out of the oven without damaging sides.
Add seasoning or a bigger dash of mustard if you're a fan!